Acts 20:35 – And remember the words of the Lord Jesus that He said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
The American people are a generous people. They gave to extend God’s Kingdom. When I was a child in Hong Kong, the mission centre would give out food like milk powder, butter, flour, etc. My aunt would receive a big tin of butter and flour that she would use to bake butter cakes that filled the street with aroma. One day I received a tin of corn beef, I was so proud because the whole family enjoyed it.
Now I have grown up and become a Christian. I have learned to give back to the Lord and to missions, so that the Kingdom of God may be extended and more people may come to know Jesus. Our Lord Jesus knows about giving He said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive” as the Good Shepherd He even gave His life to save His sheep. Our Heavenly Father loved the world so much He gave His Son to die for the world and in return He received many sons. Loving and giving are a part of our God’s image and now in the image of Jesus we love to give also.
The reasons why we love to give are:
- God commanded us to give to Him to honour Him as our Father. (Malachi 1:6, Luke 20:25)
- We love to give because it demonstrates our maturity. As children our parents give to us, when we grow up we give to our parents. So as our minds are renewed by the Word, we give to the Kingdom.
- The more we give to God the more He gives back to us, for He is our source. (II Corinthians 9:6, 10, Luke 6:38)
- Our giving pleases God (Genesis 8:21, Luke 21:3)
May the Lord grant you the desire of your heart as you delight yourself in Him.
If you would like to accept Jesus into your heart please pray the following prayer.
“Dear God, I am a sinner and need forgiveness. I believe that Jesus Christ shed His precious blood and died for my sin. I am willing to turn from sin. I now invite Christ to come into my heart and life as my personal Saviour.”
If you have just prayed this prayer and accepted Jesus as your Lord and Saviour, congratulations! We invite you to contact us as we would love to pray a blessing over your life and help guide you on your journey.
The next step. As a way to grow closer to Him, the Bible tells us to follow up on our commitment.
- Get baptised as commanded by Christ.
- Tell someone else about your new faith in Christ.
- Spend time with God each day. It does not have to be a long period of time. Just develop the daily habit of praying to Him and reading His Word. Ask God to increase your faith and your understanding of the Bible.
- Seek fellowship with other followers of Jesus. Develop a group of believing friends to answer your questions and support you.
- Find a local church where you can worship God.
God bless you.